Subject: Bomb blast protection

Bomb blast protection

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Friday, June 21, 1996
In the wake of the horrific images of devastation resulting from
last week's terrorist attack on Manchester, England city centre, an
acquaintance has told me how his book conservation studio was saved
from complete carnage. Apparently he had been shielding his studio
from U/V using one a cling type polyester film over all the window
glasses. When the bomb went off windows throughout the city smashed
into zillions of pieces showering everything and everyone in its
path with shards of fine and not so fine glass.

Luckily though the cling type U/V shielding film on his windows
clung tightly to the glass sheets and the conservation studio
sustained minimal damage.

I may have had my doubts in the past about the reliability of these
tinted UV shielding films but one cannot avoid recognising the
relief to this man for the protection afforded in this instance to
both the material in his book conservation studio and himself.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
England

                   Distributed: Monday, June 24, 1996