Subject: Coating on drafting linen

Coating on drafting linen

From: Vanessa Roth <vroth>
Date: Saturday, June 22, 1996
Carol Edwards <cedwards [at] gdsvr1__cr__usgs__gov> writes

>The Field Records Library collection includes many maps, charts,
>etc. drawn or copied onto a linen-base material, which has a smooth
>surface. Many of these items have an odor, even though the material
>does not appear moldy, discolored, etc.  It is not a
>musty/dusty/moldy smell. It's more of a sharp smell.  A
>Colleague has suggested that the linen was treated with a paraffin
>based product of some kind, and that the smell may come from the
>deterioration of that product.

A colleague recently treated a canvas and leather satchel that had
an extremely strong smell--something between deteriorating rubber
and petrol. The smell seemed to emanate from the canvas which had
slight grey staining over the entire surface.  We suspected that
something had been applied to it, possibly for water-proofing.  The
suggestion of a paraffin-based product may be correct.  I advise
caution when treating these items as the conservator treating the
satchel experienced sore eyes.  The smell dissipated slightly when
the satchel was left overnight in the fume cupboard.

Vanessa Roth
Artlab Australia

                   Distributed: Monday, June 24, 1996