Subject: 4-chloro-m-cresol

4-chloro-m-cresol

From: Frank Siegle <frank.siegle>
Date: Sunday, June 16, 1996
I have some books in my workshop with mold on a few pages. I want to
disinfect them before doing any restauration treatment. Desinfection
with ethylene- oxide is not available, so I have to look for other
fungicidal treatments. A well known Restaurator recommended
4-chloro-m-cresol. You have to make a 10% solution with
4-chloro-m-cresol and ethanol. With this solution blotting
cardboards are soaked and dried, three times. The dried cardboards
come between the infected sheets of paper and all together was
sealed in a foil bag for two weeks. Can anybody tell me if this is a
suitable desinfection method. Other recommendations how paper can be
desinfected in a small private craftsman workshop are welcome all
the time. Thanks for your help in advance.

Frank Siegle
Bookbinder/Restaurator
Germany
+49 711 464285