Subject: Source of Japanese paper

Source of Japanese paper

From: Morten Ryhl <mffkmffk>
Date: Thursday, June 6, 1996
Claudia Chemello <claudiac [at] phm__gov__au> writes

>Can anyone help with a recommendation as to where we might best
>obtain supplies of Japanese tissue for conservation use?

The PAPER NAO shop in Tokyo will provide you with samples and
technical data (way of cooking the pulp, way of drying the sheet,
pH-value etc.) on their wide range of japanese papers. The have both
handmade and machinemade papers, if you're especially after tissues,
the RK series of machinemade paper offer you many choices, from a
weight of 4 g/m2 and up. Except from paper for restoration, Paper
Nao also sells nice brushes, artist's paper, etc.

The address is:

    Paper Nao
    1-29-12-201 Sengoku Bunkyo-Ku
    Tokyo 112 Japan
    +81 3 944 4470
    Fax: +81 03 944 4699

By the way, I think there was a test on the Paper Nao papers in the
latest issue of the German-language Restauro

Morten Ryhl
Conservator of Photographic Materials
Museet for Fotokunst (Museum for Photographic Art)
Brandts Klaedefabrik, Brandts Passage 37 & 43
DK-5000 Odense, Denmark
+45 6613 7816\
Fax: +45 6613 7310

                   Distributed: Monday, June 10, 1996