Subject: Buckram

Buckram

From: Peter D. Verheyen <pdverhey>
Date: Wednesday, June 5, 1996
We use quite a bit of the ICG "D" grade, starch filled buckram and
recently reordered several hundred yards of it. ICG seems to have
changed the formulation for the cloth and it is no longer as nice to
work as it once was. This manifests itself in the way the adhesive
seems to bead and doesn't appear soak into the cloth. In some case
we have had bubbles appear several days to weeks after covering. The
adhesion problems seem to occur regardless of whether we use the
50/50 mixture of PVA/Methylcellulose or straight PVA. We do not have
these problems with the old batches. The first batch we noticed it
on was the #31010, and now on the #44300 and #12101.

Anyone else have any insights on this? I am willing to pursue this
further with them and think that as a group we might be able to get
a better answer than as individuals.

Peter Verheyen
Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library