Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: William Lindsay <wl>
Date: Wednesday, May 29, 1996
Sally Shelton <libsdnhm [at] class__org> wrote

>William Lindsay's advice (in Conservation DistList Instance: 9:73)
>on conservation of the ammonite in limestone is good but perhaps
>does not go far enough.
>I do not have the original posting by Cor Knops, but I would urge
>Mr. Lindsay and others to consider the UV-degradation
>characteristics of any polymeric material recommended for in situ
>conservation. I have seen several in situ applications which were
>very detrimental to the specimen or site as they rapidly degraded.

I wonder if, having considered the UV degradation characteristics of
any polymeric material, she has any answers to the problem.

William Lindsay
Head of Palaeontology Conservation Science
Department of Palaeontology
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road
London, SW7 5BD
+44 171 938 8821