Subject: Blood

Blood

From: Claudia Stall <cstall>
Date: Friday, May 24, 1996
I recently received some books (5) that had blood on them that were
retrieved from a car crash.  Some had obvious marks, some not.  I
did a search of the data base and could not come up with anything.
That may be because I'm really new at it.  If I've missed any
citations, let me know and I'll try again.

    **** Moderator's comments: See the CCI guidelines on handling
    potential biohazards:

        http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/cci/bodfluid.html

I bagged them and asked for a reorder decision.  One is being
reordered and rest were removed from the bags, all the paperwork
tossed, they were wiped off with a disinfectant and sent back to me
for reshelving.  They came back with stern lectures about being
squeamish and no one has ever known to get sick from books.  Books
have lots of things on them so why worry about these?

I would like to know what others do in similar cases.  By the way, I
did not ask them to attempt to clean them, it is something that they
decided to do in light of my silliness about bloody books. Thanks in
advance for your help,

Claudia Stall, Head
Collection Preservation/Mendery
San Diego State University Library