Subject: Fire recovery supplies

Fire recovery supplies

From: Lisa Fox <lfox>
Date: Thursday, May 23, 1996
Willie M. Jones <jonesw [at] ext__missouri__edu> writes

>I'm in the process of laying disaster recovery supplies for fire and
>water damaged documents, and trying to find resources for soot
>sponges, blotter paper and Pellon (non-woven fabric

I expect you'll get many other leads on supply sources.  Here are a
few I know about.

Chemical sponges (for soot removal).  The one company I've heard about
(though I haven't used them myself) is:

    Quality Rubber Co.
    P.O. Box 71
    Sedalia, MO 65302-0071
    816-597-9947
    Fax: 816-827-0713

Two other strategies come to mind.  First, you might try calling
local fire/smoke damage restoration companies like ServPro.  They're
likely to have some on hand and may sell smaller quantities than
manufacturers will provide.  Also, a call to some of the major
disaster recovery services (Blackmon-Mooring Steamatics, Document
Reprocessors, etc.) might be in order, for they may be willing to
tell you the suppliers from whom they purchase chemical sponges.

Blotter paper: You could go to the trouble of ordering "archival"
blotter paper from any of the major conservation suppliers.  But
since the paper won't be in contact with documents for very long in
a salvage operation, and since I assume you're dealing with current
records that will not be retained in the long term and are not
artifactually valuable, I'd suggest you contact local art supply
stores.

Pellon: I've always had good luck finding Pellon--as well as other
brands of spun polyester like Hollytex and Reemay--at local fabric
stores.

Lisa Fox, Preservation Consultant
840 Rosedale Avenue
Atlanta, GA  30312-3626