Subject: Reformatting cellulose acetate and nitrate negatives

Reformatting cellulose acetate and nitrate negatives

From: Marjorie Kevlahan <marjokev>
Date: Tuesday, May 14, 1996
I am librarian in the Special Collections Dept. Vancouver Public
Library Vancouver British Columbia Canada. We have a collections of
roughly 200,000 negatives 80,000 of which have been processed. The
main conservation problem is the deteriorating acetate and nitrate
negatives. Has any library had experience re-formatting (*not*
digitizing at this point) cellulose acetate and cellulose negatives.
Information on the success, materials used, cost, level of expertise
required would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment we have sent a few negatives to be reproduced using
the interpositive method to a commercial photographer. it is quite
expensive however. I should mention we have just moved into a new
building with climate control and are endeavouring to get the
humidity and temperature to a satisfactory level for storage of
negatives

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 19, 1996