Subject: Inks

Inks

From: Betty Steckman <steckman>
Date: Monday, April 29, 1996
This query comes from someone not on this list, who will not see any
below.

    **** Moderator's comments: Also post your answers. Lots of us
    will be interested in this.

    I am researching adiastematic music notation in early monastic
    manuscripts. The monastic and secular libraries in Switzerland
    have MSS attributed to both Irish and Mediterranean scribes, who
    appear to have used different inks as well as different scripts.

    Can anyone tell me if PIXIE can be used to differentiate between
    cuttlefish ink and blackthorn ink? I imagine that any resins or
    other large organic molecules in such inks will have
    depolymerized by now, so I wonder how viable the technique might
    be. The substrate is in all cases vellum. Please reply to my
    email address.

    Best wishes,
    Alan A. Bailey
    abailey [at] tell__ascom__ch