Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: William Lindsay <wl>
Date: Friday, May 3, 1996
Cor Knops asked about protecting a repaired ammonite preserved in
limestone. In the circumstances described I would seal the repaired
crack with an epoxy resin and coat the specimen with any natural or
synthetic material which will most readily seal the surface and
reduce the porosity. However my experience is limited to caring for
fossils stored indoors--which is difficult enough. As to Geological
Conservators, they do exist but are few and far between.

William Lindsay
Head of the Palaeontology Laboratory
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road