Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: Cor Knops <corknops>
Date: Friday, April 19, 1996
Since I am book and paper conservator maybe someone can help me on
this:

My father was a collector of fossils and died last year. On his
tombstone we made a fossil be partially sunken in the granite
surface and it was glued in with some kind of silicon-kit. The
fossil itself is limestone and was found in South-England. Once the
fossil (an ammonite) was broken into two pieces and glued together
(I don't with what that was done).

The problem is that I'm afraid that water will get in the crack
(which is quite visible) and eventually will break it again when it
starts to freeze in winter. So if anybody knows a way to impregnate
or cover the fossil, or can help me to get addresses from
stone-conservators or geological conservators (do they exist ?) that
would be great.

Cor Knops
Knops Boekrestauratie
Restoration and Conservation of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
+31 46 529643