Subject: Cleaning wood sections

Cleaning wood sections

From: Sally Shelton <libsdnhm>
Date: Friday, April 19, 1996
We have a section of a redwood tree that has been on exhibit A Long
Time. The surface coating is very thick and deteriorated. I  suspect
that it started out as an annual application of shellac and then got
into fully synthetic polymers. I've tried testing with a few mild
solvents without great success. The exhibits director wants a fast
remover. I want a conservationally sound approach. Suggestions and
advice are welcomed.

Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation
San Diego Natural History Museum
P.O. Box 1390
San Diego, California  92112
619-232-3821