Subject: Transparent paper

Transparent paper

From: Cor Knops <corknops>
Date: Thursday, April 11, 1996
I'm working on two volumes of "Collection Libertine" published by
Nilsson. They are not dated but I think they were printed somewhere
around 1910. The books have a dust-jacket made of a transparent
paper printed with various coloured inks. The paper is very brown
and brittle and parts of the back are missing. My first idea was to
line the paper with a piece of similar transparent paper but the
risk that the original paper will curl is immense. I'm not sure how
they made the paper (over-beating the fibres or acid-immersion) so
that won't help me either.

Can anyone suggest a way to conserve these dust-jackets ? Any other
feed-back related to this subject would be very welcome,

Cor Knops
Knops Boekrestauratie
Restoration and Conservation of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
+31 46 529643