Subject: Painting on glass

Painting on glass

From: Ivy Strickler <strickif>
Date: Monday, April 8, 1996
I have in my possession twelve panes of glass approximately 7 x 13
which were handpainted (reverse) in (best guess) the late
1950s-early 60s. The artist seems to have used traditional artists
oils for the image and then given it a coat or two of something that
is probably flat wall paint. The panes were originally inset in a
closet door. They have since been stored flat wrapped in newsprint.
The paint used for the images is beginning to bubble and flake away
from the glass, with the worst of the delamination at the
intersection of design and background. The background seems quite
stable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the stabilization of these
panes, which are family heirlooms, but not "museum quality" items.

Ivy Fleck Strickler
Drexel University
Nesbitt College of Design Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19104