Subject: Plywood

Plywood

From: Alphonse F. Pieper <afp2>
Date: Thursday, April 4, 1996
I am currently conducting research on the history and conservation
of plywood. My question is does anyone have any suggestions of
possible diagnostic techniques for plywood glues or on plywood and
veneer conservation?

My period of study is from 1900 to 1950, which includes the
following glues: animal, vegetable, blood-albumin, soybean, and
phenolic and urea resins.  To date I have found information on wood
identification and the properties of adhesives, but information
seems to be lacking on differentiating between the glues used.

There was some research done on the characteristics of plywood glues
during the 1930s and 40s, which has been helpful, and are cited
below:

    B. J. Rendle and G. L. Franklin, "A Note on the Differentiation
    of Casein and Blood-Albumin Glues in Plywood by Means of the
    Microscope". Journal Society of Chemistry. v.55 (17 April 1936):
    105T-106T.

    B. J. Rendle and G. L. Franklin, "The Identification of Plywood
    Glues" Journal Society of Chemistry. v.62 (Jan. 1943): 11-14.

Alphonse F. Pieper
Historic Preservation Planing Program
Cornell University

                   Distributed: Friday, April 5, 1996