Subject: Toner

Toner

From: Kathy Ho <preserve>
Date: Friday, March 29, 1996
Rupert N. Evans <r-evans4 [at] uiuc__edu> writes

>I am writing an article on long-term stability of toner, as used in
>laser-printing and photocopying. I would appreciate comments on one
>of its more controversial  statements:
>
>   "Watermarks in the paper may affect adhesion of toner to paper.
>    The most common type of watermark is produced by a "Dandy" roll
>    in the paper making machine which compacts and thins portions of
>    the paper as it produces a design. The 1993 paper from Australia
>    recommends that if watermarks are used, they should be placed in
>    the margins or other non-printed areas of the page.
>
>   "The move by libraries to use archival bond for photocopying
>    creates problems which may be as bad as those it solves. The
>    calcium carbonate which makes the paper more resistant to acid
>    has a bad side effect. So does the large watermark which
>    identifies the paper as archival bond. Both decrease toner
>    adhesion to the paper. Using standard, non-watermarked acid-free
>    paper would increase adhesion and lower cost, and probably would
>    not decrease long term readability."
>
>        --Photocopying and Laser Printing Processes--Their Stability
>        and Permanence. Dickson, Australia, ACT 2602. Custody and
>        Preservation Section, Australian Archives Central Office (PO
>        Box 34). 1993.

There may be some confusion regarding the sources of the references
made in the text.  It is noted that the Australian Archives
publication, "Photocopying and Laser Printing Processes - Their
Stability and Permanence" is referenced below the text of the
posting.  Readers might interpret the comments as those derived from
the publication.

The Archives' publication recommends that if watermarks are used
they should be placed in the margins or other non-printed areas of
the page. This is simply in order that the status of the paper, ie,
archival quality, can be identified quickly and easily.  The
remaining comments in that posting should be attributed to the
author of that posting.

Kathy Ho

Preservation Services
Australian Archives, National Office