Subject: Missing pages

Missing pages

From: Andrew Hart <ashart>
Date: Thursday, March 28, 1996
The issue of mutilation and treating books with missing pages has
been raised on the DistList in the past (1992, 1994) without
sparking very much discussion.  I'm bringing it up once more to see
if anyone has developed policies in this area (written or informal).
Please email comments directly to me and I will summarize responses
for the list. Some of the issues I would like to address:

    Criteria for decision to replace pages, replace book, or
    withdraw: Circulation history?  Other copies?  Condition?

    Who makes decisions?  Bibliographer?  Preservation Staff?

    Physical Characteristics that govern treatment: Number of
    missing or damaged pages?  Original leaf attachment style?
    Condition of paper?

All comments and suggestions are welcome.  Descriptions of decision
trees or specific procedures are of particular interest. Thanks,

Andrew Hart, Preservation Librarian
CB#3918, Davis Library
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 28, 1996