Subject: Erasures

Erasures

From: Wesley Boomgaarden <wboomgaa>
Date: Wednesday, March 20, 1996
We are in possession of an important holograph manuscript diary
volume from the 1920s.  The diary, whose entries are largely in
pencil, has several key sections that exhibit sections that show
evidence of erasures.  These erasures themselves are incomplete
enough to promise real interest and perhaps even to tantalize
curators and other scholars.  That is to say, the erasures appear
almost, but not quite, readable.

My query to you on the list is for advice on sources of expertise on
this sort of document:  How does one "bring back" to legibility such
erasures.  It appears to fall into the area of forensics and/or
documentary evidence, an area not known by me.

So, my query is: with whom would you recommend I confer for advice
on bringing these missing lines "back?"

Wes Boomgaarden
Preservation Officer
Ohio State University Libraries