Subject: Budget for NEA, NEH, IMS, and NSF-ISE

Budget for NEA, NEH, IMS, and NSF-ISE

From: Sarah Z. Rosenberg <sarahaic>
Date: Friday, March 22, 1996
The Clinton Administration released its proposed FY1997 budget on
Tuesday. Here is a brief breakdown of the cultural agencies.

    (in millions)

    FY97 proposal
        IMS - 23.0
        NSF-ISE - 26.0
        NEA - 136.0
        NEH - 136.0

    FY96
        IMS - 21.0
        NSF-ISE - 36.0
        NEA - 99.5
        NEH - 99.5

    FY95
        IMS - 28.7
        NSF-ISE - 35.6
        NEA - 162.0
        NEH - 172.0

Update on Istook:  Shortly after our last alert, the House approved
a weakened Istook amendment (Representative Ernest J. Istook Jr. (R)
Oklahoma, 5th District) by a vote of 211 to 209, its narrowest
margin of victory.  The amendment is attached to HR 3019, the
omnibus appropriations bill, which provides funding for the rest of
FY96 to those agencies that lack regular funding bills.  The Senate
has passed its version of HR 3019 without any Istook language; a
conference committee will resolve differences between the two bills.
Given past reluctance from both the Senate and the Clinton
administration to accept the Istook language, we are cautiously
optimistic that the amendment will be rejected in the final bill.

Sarah Z. Rosenberg
AIC
1717 K St., NW Ste. 301
Washington, DC 20006