Subject: UV monitoring

UV monitoring

From: Kevin Gene Canze <kcanze>
Date: Monday, March 18, 1996
Our museum has a variety of lighting systems: track lighting in all
the galleries augmented in some areas by fluorescents and in others
by natural light. We have always been careful to avoid placing
particularly sensitive objects within reach of direct or reflected
daylight and mostly use the fluorescents for task lighting during
installation and de-installation. One area is an exception. The
fluorescents are on dimmers over a two-story opening and are used
for ambient lighting while track fixtures highlight things on the
perimeter walls.

The question has recently come up of how much UV there actually is
from the combo of West windows and overhead fluorescents. Is there a
device that measures just the UV component from a light source or
combination of light sources? Is there any danger from UV reflecting
off a marble floor? Or is it absorbed by certain materials?

                  Distributed: Monday, March 18, 1996