Subject: Storage of oversize works of art on paper

Storage of oversize works of art on paper

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 1996
The Canadian Centre for Architecture is a museum and research centre
which collects materials related to the study of architecture--and
this means *big* things like oversize presentation drawings,
architectural duplicates, and models.  We are continually acquiring
more collections, so we are running out of storage space faster than
had been expected when our building was constructed less than ten
years ago.  I am looking for ideas from people who have experienced
this problem and found some solutions.

We will have to follow two routes:  First, we need to immediately
expand our storage space for oversize flat paper objects.  This will
probably mean adding a "second storey" of oversize shelves or map
drawers to our existing units, which are about 48 inches high.  In
doing so we will lose the countertops on which we can presently
place folders as we sort through them, and we will encounter
handling difficulties as we scale great heights to reach oversize
materials.  We are thinking about installing pull-out shelves as
work spaces, and/or buying some sort of hydraulic table that can
move up to the height at which any object is located.  Has anyone
got experience in designing these sorts of systems?  Do they have
any other suggestions for how to make more space for oversize works
on paper within existing vaults, and how to overcome the handling
difficulties?

Our second route will be to begin moving some collections to offsite
storage.  I will post a second, more detailed message on this
subject.

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture