Subject: Beta-radiography and watermarks

Beta-radiography and watermarks

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Thursday, March 14, 1996
At the Canadian Centre for Architecture we are considering replacing
an old beta plate in order to document watermarks.  Many of the
watermarks we will be studying are found in books, so it can be
difficult to access them. Before we buy a new beta plate we would
like to know if there are any new, effective and *affordable* means
of documenting large numbers of watermarks.

Two of our concerns about beta radiographs are the lengthy exposure
time that can be required, and the continued cost of the radiation
permit.  If, after our initial project, the plate is not used
regularly, we will be paying a lot for the privilege of keeping it
in a box.  We may be able to justify this cost if we could find
other institutions who would be interested in making use of our
plate and who would be willing to help defray some of the costs of
its use.  Is their anyone in our neighbourhood (Montreal, Quebec)
who has a watermark project in mind and who would like to share the
use of a beta plate? Or does anyone know of any other promising
methods of documenting watermarks?

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture