Subject: Paper for conservation treatment

Paper for conservation treatment

From: Cor Knops <corknops>
Date: Friday, March 8, 1996
In the Cons DistList Instance 9:61 Saloni Ghuwalewala wrote :

>For my research project, I will be testing some Asian
>papers to see if they will be of use in conservation.  Since
>Kizukishi Japanese paper and Permalife are considered to be
>"conservation quality" papers, I will be using them as my standards.
>Would "conservation quality" papers also be known as "permanent"
>papers?  If so, would anyone have an idea of what the standards are
>for permanent repair/mending papers?

In a research done by P. Rudniewski (Zur Alterungsbestandigkeit von
Japanischen Seidenpapieren und Japanpapieren, published in Restauro
1991 nr. 1 and 3) several Japanese tissue and woodcut papers are
tested for their use in conservation. As accelerated ageing is an
important tool to determine whether paper is suitable for long-term
application the papers that were tested and approved are likely to
be considered as "permanent". To my knowledge there are (at this
moment) no official standards for permanent repair-papers.

Cor Knops
Knops Boekrestauratie
Restoration and Conservation of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
+31 46 529643