Subject: Converting Vacudyne fumigation chambers

Converting Vacudyne fumigation chambers

From: Larry Lafollette <llafollette>
Date: Tuesday, March 5, 1996
We have a fairly large (225 cu. ft.) fumigation chamber designed to
use ethylene oxide (EtO).  Since EtO has been out of vogue for some
fifteen years this behemoth has been idle and doing little to earn
its keep.

I have heard reference to retrofitting projects using carbon dioxide
or other gasses as fumigants.  I also heard of adding heat strips
and converting such chambers into vacuum freeze drying chambers.

I would greatly appreciate any information on innovative uses,
retrofitting projects, and if known costs involved.

Larry LaFollette
Preservation Officer
Florida State Archives

                  Distributed: Thursday, March 7, 1996