Subject: Construction fumes

Construction fumes

From: George Bailey <george.bailey>
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 1996
Beth Richwine <mah0cdd [at] sivm__si__edu> writes

>We have ongoing renovation construction in our building with
>contractors that are not always monitored.  Recently noxious fumes
>began to pour into the lab from the ventilation system resulting in
>people working there getting severe headaches and nausea before we
>could get out and shut down the lab.  The headaches lasted all day.
>One person also nearly blacked out.  We later found out that the
>contractors were cutting galvanized steel with a torch at our air
>intake.

Form what you have described, it sounds like you have been subjected
to zinc fumes. Other symptoms include throat dryness, coughing,
weakness, general aches, nausea, vomiting, chills and fever. I don't
think it results in any permanent damage to the body like lead does,
unless the case is very severe. Zinc is an essential element for the
body. Obviously, the fumes should be avoided & I think that you will
find that the contractors have an obligation to extract the fumes
from the work area, not distribute them around your building.

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial
Treloar Centre for Conservation