Subject: Silverfish

Silverfish

From: Cor Knops <corknops>
Date: Tuesday, March 5, 1996
In Cons DistList 9:60 Jens Glastrup writes:

>Silverfish is very humidity-dependent, and it is therefore not
>necessary to spray with anything which may poison you later. At The
>National Museum we have had quite some extra expenses during the
>last 8 -10 years because of vast amounts of pesticides on our
>objects. Take the objects to an area with 60% RH and the problem will
>vanish in a very short time.

As from experience I know that a RH of 60% might not be low enough.
In a temperature/RH-controlled depot (which was regulated at 19
C/55%) silverfish was still running around, even after many years.
To my opinion a RH *below* 50% is a minimum to solve the problem.

Cor Knops
Knops Boekrestauratie
Restoration and Conservation of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
+31 46 529643