Subject: Shelving

Shelving

From: Owen Bradford <owen.bradford>
Date: Monday, February 19, 1996
We have recently received a donation to build a prestige
reading/display area for our Special Collections. As a consequence
of this we are now looking at shelving and display book-cases for
this area. We would prefer a wood shelf but are aware of the
problems. With this in mind I have two questions:

    1.  Is there a recommended varnish which would be inert and seal
        the wood (and it's possible harmful effects)?

    2.  Are there any other suggestions or options available to us?

    **** Moderator's comments:   Please search CoOL for terms like
    "wood sealants" as this topic has been discussed before.

Thank you in advance for any help received,

Owen Bradford
Deputy Bindery Manager
The Robinson Library
University of Newcastle Upon Tyne