Subject: Workshop on finance and funding

Workshop on finance and funding

From: Sally Shelton <libsdnhm>
Date: Thursday, February 15, 1996
As you may already know, the Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Cambridge, will be hosting the Second World Congress
on the Preservation and Conservation of Natural History Collections,
20-24 August 1996. As part of this Congress, I will be coordinating
a session on sources of funding available to assist natural history
museums and collections in Second and Third World countries.

I am asking for assistance in identifying people who are interested
in giving a presentation on this subject. I also need information on
funding sources to be included in the manual for the session. In
particular, I need to compile the names and addresses of funding
agencies and foundations, information for contacting key personnel
or representatives, the range and limitations of assistance awarded,
the procedures and deadlines for requesting assistance,
qualifications for successful applicants, and any other information
which would be useful for someone in a non-First World country
seeking support for natural history collections care and
conservation. Funding amounts should be expressed in local currency,
with equivalents in pounds if possible. Information on internships,
exchange programs and other sources of museum training for museum
people in Second and Third World countries would also be helpful.
This information will be presented as a manual for those attending
this session, and copies will be kept at Cambridge and sent to the
offices of the Association for Systematics Collections and the
Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections as