Subject: Silverfish

Silverfish

From: Jens Glastrup <bev-jg>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 1996
Kathie Bordelon <kbordelo [at] mcneese__edu> writes

>I've been offered a collection of minutes, journals, ledgers, etc.
>from a lumber company existing locally since 1873.  Upon examining
>them I saw several very much alive silverfish....
>What's the best method of
>fumigating, short of putting them into a chamber.  I used to have
>one, but not anymore.  Is there anything I can just spray on?

Silverfish is very humidity-dependent, and it is therefore not
necessary to spray with anything which may poison you later. At The
National Museum we have had quite some extra expenses during the
last 8 -10 years because of vast amounts of pesticides on our
objects. Take the objects to an area with 60% RH and the problem will
vanish in a very short time

Jens Glastrup

                   Distributed: Monday, March 4, 1996