Subject: Pyroxylin on paper

Pyroxylin on paper

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <duncanhuse>
Date: Monday, March 4, 1996
The following is posted on behalf of Claire Hoevel

    I am requesting information about the ageing characteristics and
    general durability of artworks composed of pyroxylin on paper. A
    pyroxylin on paper painting by David Alfaro Siqueiros may be
    travelling from our institution and I would like to know more
    about its vulnerabilities before it endures the stresses of a
    multi-venue loan. The use of pyroxylin as an art medium was
    pioneered by Jose Gutierrez and Siqueiros in the 1930's and used
    by Siqueiros extensively for mural painting.

    The most famous American artist who worked significantly with
    pyroxylin is probably Jackson Pollack.

    Pyroxylin is a nitrocellulose, and so presumably ages poorly,
    becoming discolored and brittle.  However, pyroxylin is used in
    library bindings to increase durability, and is still used
    occasionally in objects conservation as an adhesive.  Is
    pyroxylin a stabilized form of nitrocellulose? Any information I
    can get regarding the care of these artworks would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Claire L. Hoevel
    Paper Conservator
    Indianapolis Museum of Art