Subject: Bookkeeper process

Bookkeeper process

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Tuesday, February 6, 1996
In Europe we have heard about the new Bookkeeper deacidification
system and its benefits over the likes of Wei-To and other similar
systems. From what little I know of the Bookkeeper deacidification
product it appears to be a particulate in suspension containing no
CFC's. My questions are directed at those who have tested this
product:

    How effective can a particulate in suspension be at deacidifying
    paper fibres when the nature of such a product is that it sits
    on the surface of the paper?

    How certain can one be that the pH one measures is the pH of the
    paper rather than the particulate sitting on the surface of the
    paper and what techniques have been used to ensure the pH of the
    paper fibre has been enhanced by particulate deacidification?

    **** Moderator's comments: There are a several items on this
    topic in CoOL (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu), including the LC
    reports.

Mark Vine