Subject: Smoke damaged books

Smoke damaged books

From: Cindy Martin <c.martin>
Date: Thursday, February 1, 1996
We have received a number of books from a donor who must have been a
very heavy smoker because the books have a very strong smoke odor.
Can anyone recommend a method for removing the smoke?  One
conservator suggested quick freezing them.  We do not currently have
facilities for this, but we tested a duplicate paperback in our
regular freezer, but it didn't seem to make much difference.  Thanks
for anything you can suggest.

Cindy Martin
Southwest Collection
Box 41041