Subject: Deterioration of CD-ROM and floppy disks

Deterioration of CD-ROM and floppy disks

From: Christiane Holtz <br116>
Date: Thursday, February 1, 1996
I am student in library studies and I am looking for information on
chemical and microbial deterioration of CD-ROM and diskettes. I have been
not very successful in searching the literature and so I would appreciate
receiving any information on this subject especially on microbial
deterioration. Thank You,

    **** Moderator's comments:   There is a fair amount of material
    on this subject in Conservation OnLine
    (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu). See especially the electronic
    media page and Gilles St-Laurent's The Care and Handling of
    Recorded Sound Materials and, of course, the DistList archives.
    There is also material on this topic in the Gopher facet of CoOL
    which is being phased out; see

        ByTopic
            Electronic Records
                Electronic Storage Media
    (all this text is in process of being moved to the web server)

Christiane Holtz
Fachhochschule Koln
Germany

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 4, 1996