Subject: Bone

Bone

From: Lisa Young <sha4lay>
Date: Thursday, February 1, 1996
Amy Scott <amy.scott [at] utoronto__ca> writes

>I am a student at the University of Wales, College of Cardiff
studying for a BSc in Archaeological Conservation. I am planning on
>doing a paper for my osteology class on how burial conditions can
>affect the preservation of bone in an archaeological context.

I am a student at the University of Wales, College of Cardiff
studying for a BSc in Archaeological Conservation.  Although several
good conservation references are available, they may be difficult
for a biology student to decipher. I am providing a list of
references in which I used for a recent paper on the same subject,
although do not rule out the obvious which is to relate the
composition of the bone (i.e. the inorganic/organic phases) to
factors in the burial environment which would influence its survival
or decay-such as pH, water, oxygen, microbial populations,
temperature, etc.  Any organic biology books on bone in general can
provide you with the bone composition and any soil books, relating
to archaeology, can help with the latter. Hope this information is
helpful and good luck with the project.