Subject: History of library binding

History of library binding

From: Clara Keyes <c.keyes>
Date: Tuesday, January 30, 1996
I've been searching the literature and can't seem to find exactly
what I'm looking for. The question is when and why did libraries
begin to use bindery services rather than binding in-house? I know
many libraries ran bindery operations for serials and recasing
monographs, and I know virtually no libraries bind their own serials
today. Do they?

Any citations, anecdotes, or other assistance with this question
would be gratefully appreciated.

Clara Keyes

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 31, 1996