Subject: Water damage to floppy disks

Water damage to floppy disks

From: Jeanne Drewes <drewes>
Date: Friday, January 26, 1996
Mark Clarke <markey [at] gn__apc__org> writes

>Some floppy 3 1/2 inch diskettes were flooded over Christmas, and
>left/not noticed till now. They apparently cannot be read any more.
>What can we do and what could have been done if noticed earlier? Or
>is it just an awful lesson in the importance of the off-site backup?

The 3 1/2 inch diskettes need some different procedures when trying
to copy over data from a wet disk.

To remove the disk from its plastic casing you need to gently ply up
the metal "door" and remove.  A spring will be visible and that
needs to be removed. (It comes out easily as it is held in place by
the metal "door.")

the plastic case will now be visible.  Using a micro spatula or thin
screwdriver slide the end in slightly so as not to touch the magnetic
medium, and pry open each end to break the plastic seal that holds
the two sides together.  Now you can reach the magnetic medium and
remove.  If wet be sure to wipe with a lint free cloth.

Have another opened floppy ready to receive your now dry disk.  To
copy you don't need to reattach the metal "door" or spring, but be
sure that the plastic fits snugly together so you don't get it
jammed in your disk drive.

Sorry I didn't see this posting earlier, your data is probably gone
forever, but I have tried retrieving data by transferring the disk
to a new plastic holder and have had good success.

I have been meaning to write up a short article about this method,
and what to do with zip disks, your posting has spurred me on to get
it done.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 31, 1996