Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Caroline Gilderson-Duwe <c5d>
Date: Friday, January 19, 1996
    **** Moderator's comments: There have been a number of queries
    on this subject over the past year or so, but very few responses.
    If people would reply to list (or if people asking questions
    would post a summary of answers they received privately), the
    answers would be available in CoOL where everyone would benefit
    from them.

Our library is trying to find an acceptable theft detection device
for our CD-ROMs.  None of the disks would need to be kept "forever",
i.e. for archival use.  Most are in the general collection or part
of the Reference collection, so we are more interested in making
sure that the disks do not "walk" as opposed to keeping them in
pristine condition.  Many would be replaced periodically by updated
disks.

We have heard of problems with the 3-M brand theft detection tapes
eating through the disks' protective coating.  Is this true?  Does
anyone know of a theft detection tape for CD-ROMs that does not
damage the disks?

Caroline Gilderson-Duwe
Preservation Dept.
Golda Meir Library