Subject: Book repair tape

Book repair tape

From: Jenni Boone <jrb065t>
Date: Monday, January 22, 1996
I am looking for a replacement for Demco's Fastape.  We are
currently using this tape to repair damaged spines on books.  While
the material used in the tape seems to be decent, the adhesive is
not.  After a few years it becomes very brittle and comes off the
book, leaving a flaky yellowish residue.

I have looked through catalogs and have come up with three
alternatives.  I'm looking for comments on these alternatives, or
perhaps others that I'm not aware of.

    Filmoplast T tape.  The Talas catalog says it's a high quality
    rayon fabric overlying a durable, long-lasting acrylic adhesive.

    Tyvek book tape.  Tyvek with an acrylic adhesive.

    Gaylord's Write-On tape. Vinyl coated tape with a synthetic
    rubber-based adhesive.  (This sounds like it may be close to
    what I'm using now. (?)

Basically, I need a rather economical way to mend book spines.  I'm
very concerned about using the Fastape since it seems to break down
so quickly. I hate using it since I know I'll see the book again in
a few years.  If anyone has suggestions for quickly, easily, and
economically mending book spines in a more permanent way, please
post to me or to the list. Thanks,

Jenni Boone
Southwest Missouri State University
Springfield, MO USA