Subject: Bone

Bone

From: Gillian A. Noseworthy <4gan>
Date: Thursday, January 18, 1996
Amy Scott <amy.scott [at] utoronto__ca> writes

>I am planning on
>doing a paper for my osteology class on how burial conditions can
>affect the preservation of bone in an archaeological context.
>... I was hoping that someone on this list could point me
>to some sources for this topic.

I am presently a student in my final year of Art Conservation at
Queen's.  I can suggest a few books that would have information
about bone, but whether your library would carry them is another
matter.  If you have the time, interlibrary loan may be your best
bet.

    The Elements of Archaeological Conservation by J.M. Cronyn
    (Routledge, 1990) is a good general reference.

        **** Moderator's comments:   Thanks also to Alison Wain who
        also provide this reference

    Archaeological Bone, Antler and Ivory, eds. K. Starling and D.
    Watkinson. (UKIC, 1984).

    "The preservation and conservation of bone from the ..." in the
    Journal of Field Archaeology (vol 17, 1990, P 177-186) by Tammy
    T. Ston et al.

    "The consolidation of archaeological bone" by Stephen P. Koob in
    Adhesives and Consolidants, Preprints of the Paris Congress,
    Sept 1984 p. 98-102

I hope some of these are useful or at least give you direction to
more relevant material.

Gillian Noseworthy
Art Conservation Program
Queen's University