Subject: Haitian bookbinders

Haitian bookbinders

From: Terry Belanger <tb3e>
Date: Saturday, January 13, 1996
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as
    well. This is reproduced here without the knowledge or consent
    of the author.

    From: Jake Benson <jemil333 [at] aol__com>

    A relative of mine who has spent many years researching Haitian
    art and culture has recently returned from yet another excursion
    to the Western Hemispere's most impoverished country.  During
    this trip she came into contact with a privately run library,
    and the librarians were very keen on repairing and binding their
    books.  However, they really would like some better instruction
    (they don't have e-mail access like we do)  and would like to
    find out if anyone, preferably Haitian or Creole (at least
    French) speaking would like to go there for a week or 2 and give
    them a workshop.

    Does anyone know of any such person to fit the bill?  Some folks
    that I have mentioned this too have grimaced at the
    prospect--however, my relative is a female in her mid-60's , and
    has been fine there all these years.  She has located sources
    for grant funding for the trip.

    I also understand that there is a National Library which could
    probably also use some similar help...  One thing that they do
    apparently have in Haiti is quite a goatskin tanning industry,
    including some type of vegetable tanned skins, which are cheap
    and plentiful.  perhaps worth investigating....

-tb

Terry Belanger
University Professor
University of Virginia
Book Arts Press
114 Alderman Library
Charlottesville, VA  22903
804-924-8851
Fax: 804-924-8824

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 17, 1996