Subject: Cleaning minerals

Cleaning minerals

From: Sally Shelton <libsdnhm>
Date: Friday, January 12, 1996
Katharine Hall <kathyhall [at] mail__utexas__edu> writes

>Our mineral exhibit was recently damaged by a flood and we're in the
>process of constructing a new one. The curator of geology wishes to
>have some of the mineral specimens cleaned before they are
>re-displayed.

With regard to cleaning minerals: Two other experts in the field are

    Chris Collins
    Geological Conservation Unit
    Madingley Rise, Madingley Road
    Cambridge CB3 0EZ UK
    +44 1223 62522
    Fax: +44 1223 60779
    cjc1001 [at] esc__cam__ac__uk

and me, at the address below.

Chris has run the only formal geological conservation diploma course
in the world, and I am (so far) the only North American graduate of
it. We both teach geological conservation courses in the US through
International Academic Projects, and recently posted a notice on the
upcoming standard and advanced short courses, to be held in May at
Yellowstone National Park. Cleaning minerals will definitely be a
significant topic in these.

Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation
San Diego Natural History Museum
P.O. Box 1390
San Diego, California  92112
619-232-3821
Fax: 619-232-0248

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 17, 1996