Subject: Code of ethics for video preservation

Code of ethics for video preservation

From: C.V. Horie <vhorie>
Date: Friday, January 12, 1996
Walter Henry <whenry [at] lindy__stanford__edu> writes

>The Bay Area Video Coalition working group on ethical considerations
>in the preservation of video seeks information about any efforts to
>develop a code of ethics for this area of preservation.

Having been involved with research into the conservation of cinema
film, both CA and CN, I would strongly deprecate the concept of
"copying" as a primary measure of conservation.  At best, this is
second best, and this should be stated in any code of ethics of
"conservation".  "Copying" as a primary preservation measure is a
symptom of sloppy curation.

As a conservator, I am concerned with the long term preservation of
material evidence, not just the fashionable concept of [currently
known] information content.

Velson Horie
Keeper of Conservation
The Manchester Museum
The University
Manchester
M13 9PL
UK
+ 44 161 275 2656
Fax: + 44 161 275 2676

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 17, 1996