Materials testing mailing list

From: James Martin <james.s.martin>
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 1996
This posting continues an inquiry posted in September 1995 on
materials testing.  At that time I inquired about the techniques
being used by subscribers for evaluating the suitability of
materials for use in exhibition and storage, how widely testing is
performed, and the specific criteria on which materials are being
judged as suitable or unsuitable.  A modest number of conservators
and scientists responded to this inquiry and expressed interest in
beginning a dialog which might lead to a more systematic and
efficacious, and less ambiguous, approach to materials testing.

As a next step, I am proposing the creation of a new listserv
(tentatively called materials-l) dedicated to discussion, research
and development of the techniques and applications of materials
testing.  The listserv would be open to conservators and scientists
who test materials for use in exhibition and storage, or research
and develop new techniques for materials testing.  Participants
could reserve the right to restrict their communication to the
materials-l list (e.g., current research that is not for wide public
distribution); otherwise, discussion would be bundled and
distributed periodically by Walter via the Conservation DistList and
archived in CoOL.

I'd like to gain a sense of interest in the materials-l listserv
before I finalize its construction here at Williams College.  Please
respond to me directly by February 1.  Thanks.

James Martin
Director of Analytical Services and Research
Associate Conservator of Paintings
Williamstown Art Conservation Center

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 17, 1996