Subject: Adhesives and plumbing problems

Adhesives and plumbing problems

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin>
Date: Monday, January 8, 1996
Katherine Wodehouse <kwodehou [at] ccsmtp__risd__edu> writes

>>The sink pipes in our library have occasionally become clogged.  The
>>campus plumber has requested that we cease and desist cleaning
>>brushes in the sink.

I have another option, albeit radical, to offer. In my lab, we
generate many scraps of lignin-free box board which are too small to
use for making boxes. Most are recycled. The rest we cut down to
strips 1/2" to 1" wide by 3" to 4" to use for gluing. They are used
a few times then thrown away. These "glue strips" are as easy to use
if not more controllable than big bristly brushes once you get the
hang of them. I have all but abandoned the use of brushes and PVA
together.

George Leake
Conservation Department
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center