Subject: Adhesives and plumbing problems

Adhesives and plumbing problems

From: Elaine Hodges <mnhen039>
Date: Thursday, January 11, 1996
Claudia Stall <cstall [at] mail__sdsu__edu> writes

>>We put our glue brushes in a small amount of water to soak over
>>night.
>
>I was wondering how you keep the brushes from developing a "permanent wave"
>as my old art teacher used to call it?  You know, bristles all bent to one
>side?

To prevent the brush bristles from becoming permanently curved due
to pressure, they should be suspended in the water or other fluid.
Art stores sell containers with a handle formed of coils that curves
over the top of the container; the coils hold the handle of the
brush to any height desired so the brush can suspend in fluid
without touching the bottom of the container. I believe there are
other designs that accomplish the same end, keeping brush bristles
straight. The container I describe was designed to suspend oil
painting brush bristles in turpentine.

Elaine R.S. Hodges
Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, Rm. W-622