Subject: Pencil and charcoal drawings

Pencil and charcoal drawings

From: Lynn Campbell <campbelll>
Date: Monday, January 8, 1996
Tracy Keifer <tkeifer [at] aip__acp__org> wriets

>Our archives contains two collections of original drawings.  Each
>collection contains drawings in both pencil and charcoal.

These types of works,in particular the chalk drawings should not be
covered as the medium is likely to come off particularly in relation
to plastic as it has a static charge and can pull pigment off the
paper

We mat all chalk,pastel and pencil drawings in 8-ply museum board
and store in solander boxes. We also photograph them to ensure there
is a negative available to ensure there is less handling of the
work. We also store all pastels, chalk and soft pencil drawings
flat.

It is also vital that after matting should framing be considered it
is important that glass be used not perspex as the static charge in
the perspex can pull off pigment. Hope this is helpful,

Lynn Campbell
Conservator
Robert McDougall Art Gallery
Christchurch