Subject: Interleaving

Interleaving

From: Mark Clarke <markey>
Date: Thursday, January 11, 1996
Elaine Smyth <notebs [at] lsuvm__sncc__lsu__edu> writes

>I am writing to ask advice on interleaving a very large and valuable
>volume of 100 hand-colored engravings dating from the 1830s.
>Particularly with some of the darker, larger images,  there is a
>fair amount of offsetting onto the preceding plate.
>
>The binding is the original, and no guard sheets were bound in.

Elaine Smyth's large album interleaving problem made me wonder if,
after 100 years, all the migrating oil and colour has finished
migrating, and dried. Interleaving would therefore be 100 years too
late! (and thus unnecessary) What is the agreed principle on this?

Mark Clarke
+44 171 277 1633

                Distributed: Thursday, January 11, 1996