Subject: Pencil and charcoal drawings

Pencil and charcoal drawings

From: Tracy Keifer <tkeifer>
Date: Wednesday, January 3, 1996
Our archives contains two collections of original drawings.  Each
collection contains drawings in both pencil and charcoal. Currently,
they are stored in map case drawers, in acid free folders.  Within
the folders, a variety of materials are used to cover the drawings:
thin plastic (similar to regular plastic wrap from the grocery
store), onion skin paper, tracing paper and wax paper.  The drawings
are mostly on regular drawing pad paper.

I have two questions re: the care of these collections:

    1.  From the description above, are they being stored properly?
        Is there anything I should change?

    2.  We'd like to have negatives made so we can make copy prints
        of the drawings available.  Will the creation of a negative
        harm the drawings?

Any information will be greatly appreciated,

Tracey Keifer
AIP Niels Bohr Library

                  Distributed: Sunday, January 7, 1996