Subject: Adhesives and plumbing problems

Adhesives and plumbing problems

From: Claudia Stall <cstall>
Date: Tuesday, January 2, 1996
Sue Dunlap <sdunlap [at] acs__wooster__edu> writes

>Katherine Wodehouse <kwodehou [at] ccsmtp__risd__edu> writes
>
>>The sink pipes in our library have occasionally become clogged.  The
>>campus plumber has requested that we cease and desist cleaning
>>brushes in the sink.
>
>We put our glue brushes in a small amount of water to soak over
>night. When we wash them out, the glue is quite diluted by the time
>we wash them, and I have had no problems with my sinks clogging up

I was wondering how you keep the brushes from developing a "permanent wave"
as my old art teacher used to call it?  You know, bristles all bent to one
side?  I purchased a brush conditioner that suds up to remove paste and
PVA.  I wonder if it helps the stuff move thru the pipes too.  Still all
that stuff going down a drain can't be good.  I am interested to find if you
just put used brushes in jars of water or ??? Thanks,

Claudia Stall, Head
Collection Preservation/Mendery
San Diego State University Library

                  Distributed: Sunday, January 7, 1996